Take the Stage with us!
WE EDUCATE THROUGH THE ARTS.
- Alignment in math, language arts, science and social studies for grades K-5.
- Videos available to stream and download
- Print-out teacher guides and worksheets
- ¡Hablamos Español! Take the Stage videos and materials are produced in Spanish as well as English.
curriculum through the arts.
- Singing a mariachi song to learn prepositions
- Acting out historical figures
- Dancing to solid, liquid and gas
- Creating a comic strip to help write an expository essay
Kid approved. Teacher approved.
- Take the Stage is for kids, so that means it has to be fun! Kids share their input during the creation process for each video and test out each activity.
- Elementary school teachers advise, review, and evaluate all Take the Stage media to ensure that it improves skills and academic comprehension.
WE love to partner with
And, wE'RE GLAD YOU'RE HERE!
every child deserves free access to arts education.
Take the Stage media takes a progressive approach to formal learning by teaching the
core curriculum kinesthetically through singing, dancing, acting and drawing.
With this arts-integrated approach, students retain information at a higher rate
because they have a muscle memory connection in addition to a cognitive connection.
This model of teaching is beneficial for all types of learners. Some students will remember information
through song, some will remember through drawing and some will remember through dance.
The arts are a powerful teaching tool.
Take the Stage was piloted in five elementary schools in Houston
by Allison Caplovitz, Ph.D. (formally of Blues Clues) with a team of researchers
from the University of Houston. The study results showed academic improvement
in all English and Spanish classrooms for grades K-5.
Carol-Lynn Parente (former Executive Producer of Sesame Street) edits Take the Stage scripts,
assists with casting & directing, and provides notes during post-production.
Dan J. Gordon, Creator of Take the Stage
Kathy Starr, General Manager of Gordon Education
Carol-Lynn Parente, Executive Producer of Take the Stage
Don Geraci, Executive Producer of Houston Public Media
Lance Menster, Director of Curriculum & Development at HISD
Gladys Gutierrez-Barba, Bil/ESL Teacher Development Specialist at HISD
Please e-mail us if you have any questions or just would like to say hello!
Make a tax-deductible donation
Take the Stage is funded by grants and people like you.
Please make check payable to:
3400 Main Street #289
Houston, TX 77002
Take the Stage is produced by the 501(c)3 non-profit, Gordon Education Initiatives for the Performing Arts.
Board of Directors: Krista Calaway, Dan Gordon, Victor Kendall, Juliet McBride
Take the Stage is Generously Supported by:
The Brown Foundation of Houston, Inc., The Houston Endowment,
Texas Commission on the Arts, The Baxter Trust, Greggory & Patrick Burk,
Wu Family, Arthur & Philamena Baird, James & Krista Calaway, Chuck Still,
Penelope Warga, Juliet McBride, Georgia McBride, Andrew Gordon